Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oversharing.

Twitter. Facebook. YouTube.Various blog sites, blogger, wordpress, tumblr. Websites, apps, free, easy to access from basically anywhere with an internet connection.

I think we tend to share just a little too much.

And before you start attacking me and accusing me of being a hypocrite, don't worry, I do see the irony. A blogger talking about oversharing to a bunch of random strangers in an online diary? Guilty.

I was thinking about how explosive the internet has become over the last decade or so. Remember the 90's when personal thoughts, opinions and issues all remained personal. Remember those little notebooks decorated with stickers and tags of I (heart) Backstreet Boys? I remember how all I wanted was a diary that I could write in, that had its own lock and key. Now we all know who's dating who, what everybody ate for lunch and who pissed them off most for that day.

I've always been a late comer to every party, particularly the technology party. I only discovered the full capacity of YouTube in the last year or so. Up until then, YouTube was used for watching the latest music videos and cute baby videos. I am probably still the only person in the entire (first) world who does not own an Android or iPhone (but I do have an iPod touch and so I don't have constant internet access wherever I am. I'll be honest, it's probably a good thing, at least for all those people who are friends with me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter, otherwise I'd be bombarding your timelines with complaints about the weather, or how that creepy old man keeps staring at me.

The older generation are constantly complaining about the curse of technology and I happen to think they're right. I tend to use Facebook or text messages to talk to friends and B, and so when I do end up seeing them in person, I don't have any stories to tell anymore. I had a friend who went overseas for a month, travelling and experiencing the world, and when he came back, I immediately set a date for us to meet up so I could hear all his stories about his travels but come the day, we sat there, not knowing what to say because I had seen it all on Facebook, where he went, what he did, so there was nothing left to discuss.

SO anyways, the point of this? I don't really know. I just wanted to share my opinion on the strange habit of oversharing.

Done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment